Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Framework

While visiting at an aunt for the weekend, I saw my 8-year old cousin working on his website. Yup, his website. His older brother got him one of those free domains and he's been an immovable object from his PC since. His website was essentially a photo album. As is required by age 7 these days, he has a camera phone and has been taking snapshots of everything from the dirt on his sandals to moss growing on a rock. I must say, though, that his photographs are quite good (and he's not too shy to admit this).

But back to his website.

He had it layed out as sort of a diary, with daily entries in the form of framed photos. I asked him if he designed the frames himself and he said no. He'd apparently gotten hold of software that let him frame his photos.

He told me it was called Photo Frame Show, and that anyone with enough fingers to work a mouse could "work magic with it" (kids and their TV shows). I was obviously going to be given a demo at that point so I got some coffee and pulled up a chair.

It was, as he had advertised, really easy to use. All you had to do was either pick a photo and then choose a frame, or select a frame and then place a photograph in it. During a lull in the demo, I got a look at my cousin's desktop display, so I asked if he used Photo Frame Show to create his wallpaper, and I was promptly given the tutorial. After being shown how he saved his framed images for use in his website, how he could send the images to his Dad via email, and how he printed his framed photos, the demo ended.

My verdict: While experienced designers and the artistic elite will most likely have broken necks from turning up their noses at this tool, beginners and casual DIY design people should find that it meets their needs. You can find out more at www.frameshow.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home