Monday, January 07, 2008

Kagat Agad.

Back in a high school, I had a couple of friends who were members of the school's track and field team. Both were runners, one was a sprinter and the other specialized in long distance events. One of the more interesting things I learned about athletics (track, in particular) from them is that it actually takes a lot more effort to stop than it does to start. Runners, according to them, spend more energy jumping on the brakes than they do getting off the blocks. Try listening to the footfalls of someone slowing down after a sprint--they'll sound like Thor was quite earnestly knocking on some poor bastard's door.

I now find this fact all the more interesting as I have recently been advised by a physician to learn how to manage stress; to stop getting stressed, if it were possible. The doctor used at least a thousand more words to tell me but essentially, the message was "Listen, sport. It is my professional opinion that you should pick a hobby other than routinely going ballistic."

Heh.

I'm on what you can call a stress marathon. It'll be fun seeing how I deal with stopping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home